The total funded program of the Naval Undersea Warfare Center (NUWC) Division Newport reached $1.17 billion in 2017, according to a new report issued by NUWC Division Newport Public Affairs.
Of its total operating budget, $909.8 million was spent by NUWC Newport in payroll, construction, facility support, and local contracts. The command is the largest federal activity in R.I. in terms of personnel and payroll.
NUWC Newport’s employee base includes 3,212 government civilian employees and 41 military members with a total gross payroll of $343.4 million. Of the full-time government civilian staff, 74 percent are classified as scientists or engineers and approximately 28 percent have graduate degrees.
In addition to the government workforce, NUWC Newport contracted for approximately 2,543 work years during 2017 from companies located in Rhode Island, Massachusetts and Connecticut, bringing its combined government and contractor workforce to more than 5,755 positions.
Money spent for contracts totaled approximately $519 million, with contracts obligated to Southern New England companies during the year exceeding $352 million. The breakdown included $281.9 million awarded to Rhode Island-based businesses, $55.2 million issued to Massachusetts-based companies, and $14.8 million obligated to Connecticut businesses. Construction contracts totaled over $13 million, with an additional $34.6 million spent on facility support contracts.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13