On April 12th at 7pm the Newport String Project presents “Musical Pioneers”, an evocative program featuring chamber works by trailblazing composers including Franz Joseph Haydn, Grazyna Bacewicz and George Walker, hosted by the Newport Historical Society on the second floor of the Colony House on Washington Square, Newport, RI. This event is only accessible by stairs.
Join the musicians of the Newport String Project for an exploration of Haydn’s transformative impact on the genre of the string quartet. The event will also feature a performance of Grazyna Bacewicz’s Suite for Two Violins, which received its premiere at an underground concert in Warsaw in 1943. The program will conclude with String Quartet No. 1 by George Walker, the first African-American to win the Pulitzer Prize in Music.
Admission by donation. Suggested Donation $10, $25, $50+
All proceeds support the educational and performance activities of the Newport String Project.
More information at www.newportstringproject.org
Franz Joseph Haydn String Quartet op. 1 no. 1.
Grazyna Bacewicz Suite for Two Violins
George Walker String Quartet No. 1
The Latest From WUN
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Dune”
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Minks rock Askew (October 21, 2021)
- New behavioral health pharmacy in EBCAP to serve those with mental health and addiction issues
- Newport Art Museum to present “Newport: The City as a Work of Art” lecture series with John R. Tschirch