Our site doesn’t have a paywall and all of our content and newsletters are always free to read.
Instead, reader support and advertising from local businesses power our locally owned, independent newsroom. If you like what we do, a contribution of $8/month means more than you’d think, and any amount helps.
Here is what’s happening for road work, closures and detours in and around Newport, RI this week.
Roadwork scheduled by Rhode Island Department Of Transportation: March 17 – 23
No lane closures anticipated.
Roadwork scheduled by Rhode Island Turnpike and Bridge Authority: March 18 – 28
Claiborne Pell Bridge
- Eastbound and Westbound Left Lane Closure and Eastbound Open Road Tolling Closure- 3/19- 9 am to 3:30 pm
- Westbound Right Lane Closure- 3/20- 9 am to 3 pm
- Eastbound Right Lane Closure- 3/20 to 3/23 – 9 am to 3 pm
Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge
- There are currently no Lane Closures on the Jamestown Verrazzano Bridge.
Route 138 Connector
- Eastbound and Westbound Alternating Lane Closures-3/19 to 3/23- 9 am to 3 pm
- Overnight: Westbound Open Road Tolling Closure – 3/19 – 9 pm to 5 am
- Overnight: Eastbound and Westbound Alternating Lane Closures-3/19 to 3/22- 9 pm to 5 am
Mount Hope Bridge
- There are currently no Lane Closures on the Mount Hope Bridge.
Sakonnet River Bridge
- There are currently no Lane Closures on the Sakonnet River Bridge.*
*The Rhode Island Department of Transportation is currently removing the old Sakonnet River Bridge. Expect construction vehicles to enter and leave the site possibly causing brief delays Monday through Friday between the hours of 7am – 3:30pm.
The schedule is subject to change.