A community cleanup to prepare Fort Adams State Park for the 2018 Volvo Ocean Race is planned as a collaborative effort between two local non-profit environmental groups, Clean Ocean Access (“COA”) and Aquidneck Land Trust (“ALT”). The event, to be held Sunday, April 8, 2018, from 11:00 am – 2:00 pm, is sponsored by The Roberts Group at Morgan Stanley.
Volunteers of all ages are invited to join the effort, which will focus on collecting litter in the open spaces around the park’s historic fort and three beaches. Participants are asked to check in at the registration desk inside the original Sail Newport building at the end of the eastern parking lot in Fort Adams State Park. Waivers required for all participants and are available online at http://www.cleanoceanaccess.org/forms.
“Over 125,000 people are going to experience the Volvo Ocean Race Village in May,” said Dave McLaughlin, Executive Director of COA. “We want them to see this our island in its best light, and we invite Aquidneck Island residents and visitors to join us for this important pre-event clean-up.” The Volvo Ocean Race opening ceremony is on May 8, 2018, and the Village will remain open through May 20, 2018.
“We are very grateful to The Roberts Group at Morgan Stanley, which has underwritten this coastal clean-up and supported both ALT and COA in making it a community event,” said Chuck Allott, Executive Director at ALT. “This type of collaboration between business and non-profits is extremely productive and serves all Islanders by protecting our shared land and water resources on Aquidneck Island.”
Refreshments from Empire Tea and Coffee will be provided to volunteers.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13