Newport, RI – The public is invited to the opening of “Seeking Shelter: A Story of Place, Faith and Resistance,” a multi-media exhibition that tells a Rhode Island story of Vietnam War era activism and celebrates the healing power of community, which will be featured at Salve Regina University’s McKillop Library from Feb. 12 through April 15.
A public screening of Sue Hagedorn’s documentary film, “Shelter from the Storm” will be presented on Monday, Feb. 12 at 4:30 p.m. in the library. An opening reception for the “Seeking Shelter” exhibition will follow. Hagedorn’s film explores the exhibition’s themes through the recollections of people who knew the story’s central figures well and have deep insight into Block Island as a place and as a community. Those themes are still relevant today.
“Seeking Shelter” recounts the story of Father Daniel Berrigan and his friend, theologian and civil rights lawyer William Stringfellow. Both belonged to an old American tradition of faith-based activism. During the tumultuous 1960s and long afterward, the two friends, both hard-working, prolific authors, were activist opponents of the war in Vietnam and campaigners for civil rights, social justice, nuclear disarmament and the environment.
The Seeking Shelter project is led by a group of Block Islanders who, like Berrigan and Stringfellow, treasure the Island’s natural beauty and sense of community. The project received support from the Rhode Island Council for the Humanities, The Roosa Fund, the Seedworks Film Foundation, The Puffin Foundation, and a number of generous individuals.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million
- Frank Prosnitz: My Jazz Festival’s Top Picks