Newport Jazz Festival Assembly, a performance series presented by Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc., which has brought music to dozens of schools throughout Rhode Island, Connecticut, and Massachusetts, will perform in March at schools in East Hartford and Norwalk, CT, and Providence, RI.
The series, funded by Newport Festivals Foundation, Inc., connects professional musicians to schools with minimal or no music programs to present jazz concerts for students who may not have had the experience of attending a live concert.
The Newport Jazz Assembly performances are set for:
Thursday, March 1, 2:15 pm
East Hartford, CT
Thursday, March 8, 2:15 pm
East Hartford, CT
Friday, March 9, 8:30 am
Henry Barnard Lab School at Rhode Island College
Friday, March 23, 9:30 am
Columbia Magnet School
Each Assembly, which will introduce students to the music presented at the Newport Jazz Festival®, will be 35-60 minutes long and will consist of oral presentations, question/answer sessions and several musical segments that will span the timeline of jazz history, including Dixieland, Big Band, Bebop, Fusion, Cool and Modal Jazz.
Band members are Ben Marcoux, bandleader, saxophones and clarinet; Joshua Bruneau, trumpet/flugelhorn; Jimmy O’Connell, trombone; Tony Davis, guitar; Keith Brown, piano/electric keyboard; Alex Tremblay, upright bass; and Mike Camacho, drums. Deborah Ross, Newport Festivals Foundation Director of Education, is the project director.
The 2018 Newport Jazz Festival presented by Natixis Investment Managers (www.newportjazz.org) takes place August 3-5 at historic Fort Adams State Park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino.
For more information on education initiatives offered by Newport Festivals Foundation, visit www.newportfestivals.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)