Subscribe to What’s Up Newp’s daily newsletter
Be the first to know about breaking news, articles, and updates.
The following items of business will go before the Newport City Council at its first regular meeting on the new year on January 10, 2018, at 6:30 p.m. in the Council Chamber at Newport City Hall.
To see the full agenda that includes links to applications and more documents, click here.
- CONSENT CALENDAR. (THE CONSENT CALENDAR IS APPROVED IN ITS ENTIRETY UNLESS THE COUNCIL REMOVES AN ITEM FOR DISCUSSION. ALL LICENSES ARE GRANTED SUBJECT TO COMPLIANCE WITH ORDINANCES #31-80 AND #98-40.)
a. Minutes of the meetings held December 13, 2017 (Approve) Minutes 12/13/2017
b. Special Events:
- Newport Life Magazine/Gatehouse Media, LLC, d/b/a 16th Annual Bridal Show, Rosecliff, 548 Bellevue Ave. & Oceancliff, 65 Ridge Rd.; February 17, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
2) R.I. Brewers Guild, d/b/a 7th Annual Newport Craft Beer Festival, lawn of Friends Meeting House, 21 Farewell St.; April 28, 2018 from 12:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. Craft Beer Festival
3) Star Kids Scholarship Program, d/b/a Star Kids Annual Gala, Ochre Court; May 5, 2018 from 5:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. Star Kids Gala
4) Gray Matter Marketing, d/b/a Craft Brew Race, Fort Adams State Park; July 21, 2018 from 12:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. Craft Brew Race
c. Holiday Selling License, Renewal, Lululemon USA Inc., d/b/a Lululemon Athletica, 17 Touro St. Lululemon
d. Tattoo License, Renewal, Jennifer Clinch Guertin, d/b/a Anchor Steam Tattoo Gallery, 44 Broadway Anchor Steam
e. Tattoo License, Renewal, David Bennett, Jr., d/b/a Sitting Bull Tattoo, LLC, 136A Thames St. Sitting Bull
f. Mechanical Amusement License, Renewals, El Dee Vending, LLC, 80 Osprey Dr., East Greenwich, RI (7 machines, 1 location) El Dee Vending
g. Pool table license, renewal, El Dee Vending, LLC, 80 Osprey Dr., East Greenwich, RI (1 table) El Dee Vending
h. Communication from the R.I. Ethics Commission, re: Notice of Public Workshop to explore amendments to procedural regulations (Receive) Ethics Commission
i. Reappointment of Scott Wheeler as Tree Warden (Approve) Tree Warden
j. 2017 Annual Report- Historic Cemetery Advisory Commission (Receive) Historic Cemetery
k. Actuarial Valuation Reports: Police & Fire Pension Systems as of July 1, 2017 and Post-Retirement Benefits Plan (Receive)- Copies for review are in the City Clerk’s Office and on the city’s website http://www.cityofnewport.com/departments/finance PoliceVal FireVal OPEBVal
l. Comprehensive Annual Financial Report (CAFR) for the year ended June 30, 2017 (Receive) – A copy for review is in the City Clerk’s Office and on the city’s website http://www.cityofnewport.com/departments/finance CAFR
m. Communication from Newport Prevention Coalition, re: Requesting the city’s support for the Light and Unite for Project Purple Week January 22 through 26, 2018 (Approve subject to details being worked out with city administration) Project Purple
n. Communication from Angela Marandola, Health Equity Zone Project Co-Coordinator, re: Requesting the city’s support for the Tree Path Project (Receive and refer to city administration) Health Equity Zone
LICENSES & PERMITS
2. Victualing License, Renewal, 3M & J, Inc., d/b/a Via Via II, 372-376 Thames St. – Continued from December 13, 2017
3. Victualing License, New, Rosemary & Thyme, Inc., d/b/a Rosemary & Thyme Rustica, 404 Thames St.
Rosemary & Thyme Rustica
4. APPOINTMENTS TO BOARDS & COMMISSIONS
5. National Grid rate increase- K. Leonard, J. Napolitano
COMMUNICATIONS FROM THE CITY MANAGER
6. Action Item #5710/17 re: Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) Contract – July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2020 (w/accompanying resolution and ordinance) – (Continued from 12/13/2017) 5710
7. Action Item #5711/18 re: Agreement for Use of Easton’s Beach Parking Lot for Snow Storage (w/accompanying resolution) 5711
8. Action Item #5712/18 re: Supplemental Agreement #1 – Contract #18-012 – Cardines Field Infield Replacement (w/accompanying resolution) 5712
9. Action Item #5713/18 re: Agreement – Potter League for Animals – Animal Shelter Services (w/accompanying resolution) 5713
10. Action Item #5714/18 re: Award of Contract – RFP #18-031- Fire Station # 2 – Furnish and Installation of Emergency Generator (w/accompanying resolution) 5714