Allysen Callery and Ryan Lee Crosby Friday
Two of the top folk performers in the region play the Pump House Music Works Friday. Allysen Callery has brought her soothing ghost folk sound to Europe and the South by Southwest Festival, as well as numerous venues around RI. Ryan Lee Crosby is a master of the 12 string guitar and other assorted non-traditional stringed instruments. See them both tonight at South County’s best venue for indie music. Details here.
Neutral Nation Friday
The Greenwich Odeum is a hybrid concert venue/movie theater and Friday night the two come together to celebrate a legendary RI punk band, Neutral Nation. “It’s a Bash” is a film about the band which was founded in North Attleboro in the early 1980’s. The screening will be followed by a performance from the band, the first punk act to join the RI Music Hall of Fame. Details here.
Kool and the Gang Friday
Who doesn’t love Kool and the Gang? One of the original and greatest R&B/Funk groups of all time returns to Twin River Friday. The Grammy Winning band known for hits including Celebration, Cherish, Jungle Boogie, and Summer Madness is the most sampled act of all time. Get the party started tonight – Details here.
Winter Blues all Weekend
This weekend the Winter Blues Festival returns to the Narrows Center for the Arts in Fall River. The music starts Friday with Texas blues great Carolyn Wonderland, former Greg Allman guitarist Scott Sharrad, Boston’s Delta Generators, and the Black Cadillac Trio. Saturday night, the Narrows welcomes Canadian blues rocker Anthony Gomes, swamp blues master Damon Fowler, the Neal McCarthy Problem and Lois Geeco. Details on a weekend of rockin’ blues here.
A Tale of Two Parlors
A tale of two Parlors returns to WhatsUpNewp as we feature a pair of shows in Newport in Providence. First, head to the Parlor Newport Friday for two of the area’s finest hometown bands Silverteeth and Blue Dream. Details here. Then on Saturday, a three band line up takes over the Parlour Providence. Turn up the volume for Eric and the Nothing, Tall Teenagers, and Cherry Pit. Details here.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now