Newport Art Museum’s Art After Dark, which recently received the 2017 Editor’s Pick Award for Best Artsy Social Event by Rhode Island Monthly Magazine, is back on Thursday, February 8 from 5 – 9 pm. Each Art After Dark has unique programming for the whole family. This event joins the ranks of the many events and educational programs the Museum currently offers in its galleries at 76 Bellevue Avenue, Newport.
Ten Tiny Dances: LOVE NOW
During this month’s Art After Dark, ten choreographers and performers will perform Ten Tiny Dances®: LOVE NOW in the Ilgenfritz Gallery. LOVE NOW is an exclamation, a directive, a question, a statement, a wish, a challenge and a call to action. Each of the choreographers and performers will illuminate an aspect of this loose theme through the popular performance experiment designed by West Coast dancer and choreographer Mike Barber, Ten Tiny Dances. TTD’s restrictions have challenged and liberated dancers for years – ten different choreographers design ten movement pieces, each about 5 minutes long, to be performed within the confines of a four-by-four-foot square platform stage, placed in the round. Ten Tiny Dances: LOVE NOW will be performed twice, at 6 pm and 7:30 pm, and each performance will be followed by Q&A with the performers. Choreographers and performers include Shura Baryshnikov, Anna Bjella, Ali Kenner Brodsky, Alexander Davis, Adeene Denton, Gabriel Forestieri, Heidi Henderson, Lila Hurwitz, Katie Moorhead, and Cathy Nicoli.
Newport Member’s Annual Award Winners Artists’ Talk
Join us for a Artists’ Talk with the Newport Annual Member’s Juried Exhibitionaward winners in the Cushing and Morris Galleries at 5 pm. Award winners for “Best in Show” as well as first prizes and honorable mentions in mixed media, painting, photography/video, prints/pastels/drawings, three-dimensional art, and watercolor were selected by juror Crawford Alexander Mann III, Curator of Prints and Drawings at the Smithsonian American Art Museum and will be announced at the Winter Exhibitions Opening Reception on February 2.
Schedule of Events
5:00 pm: Newport Annual Artists’ Talk
6:00 pm: Ten Tiny Dances performance
7:30 pm: Ten Tiny Dances performance
Art After Dark is free for Members, $10 suggested donation for non-members. Light refreshments and cash bar will be available. Details are available at www.newportartmuseum.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13