National Grid and Newport Police Department were on the scene of two “Grade 1” emergency gas main repairs in Newport this afternoon.
The gas leaks in the gas main’s occurred at Bellevue Avenue at Parker Avenue and on Thames Street at Holland Street, according to Newport Police Department (NPD).
It is unclear whether the two leaks were related or caused because of the same issue. National Grid has provided no updates and Newport Police Department has provided no further updates.
As of 8 pm this evening, Thames Street at Holland Street was clear.
The first gas leak was reported by NPD on their Facebook Page at 1:08 pm;
The second gas leak was reported by NPD on their Facebook Page at 3:03 pm;
How to report a gas emergency or power outage?
For gas leak and gas emergencies, call 1-800-233-5325 or 911 immediately. For power outages, please report outages online or call 1-800-465-1212. Emergency support is available 24 hours a day, every day.
The Latest From WUN
- Tony® Award-Winning Musical “Million Dollar Quartet” coming to Boston’s Boch Center October 29th + 30th
- Gerry Goldstein: For Mercy’s sake, he stood guard through the night
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million