Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team Bristol towed a buoy that was blocking a portion of the Providence River shipping channel back to its proper position using a Buoy Utility Stern Loading (BUSL) boat on Tuesday.
The buoy was knocked off station by ice and was blocking the deep draft channel. The team’s successful repositioning of the buoy allowed larger commercial vessels to safely transit to port. As part of Operation Reliable Energy for Northeast Winters, the Coast Guard is dedicated to providing safe, efficient, and navigable waterways that ensure Northeast communities have the necessary resources they need throughout the winter.
Video: Coast Guard Aids to Navigation Team Bristol provides an escort through ice for a 500-foot ship on the Providence River.
More From What’s Up Newp
- United Way and Women United partner with the community for annual children’s book drive throughout May
- Passim School of Music to honor Bob Dylan ahead of his 80th birthday
- BJ’s Wholesale Club will host a hiring day on May 15, looking to fill 80 open positions across Rhode Island
- Charlestown Seafood Festival returns August 6 – 8
- Barrington home built by golfer Brad Faxon sells for more than $4.5 million