The Salon de Refusés exhibit will consist of more than 20 artworks that were not selected for the 2018 Newport Annual Juried Members Show at the Newport Art Museum. Attendees are invited to view, ponder and discuss the work and creativity of all the experienced, new and aspiring artists. The Newport Annual at the Art Museum receives far more work than they can display each year, and in the spirit of community Blink opens its walls to the works of artists not selected this year. Rather than focusing on why something was not selected, the exhibit highlights the common thread that binds all the pieces together. As gallery owner Alexander “Sandy” Nesbitt says, “It’s not about winners and losers or good vs. bad or making the grade or not, it’s recognizing that in the diversity of all the work is an undeniable vitality.”
The show will be hung in traditional Salon style and showcase an eclectic mix of subjects, styles, and sizes.
The exhibit garnered its name from the tradition famously started when Napoleon offered a Salon de Refusés to those excused from the Annual Paris Salon show in 1863.
The exhibit will be hung from February 2 – February 19 and be open during gallery hours or by appointment.
For more information, call 401-619-3717 or visit blinkgalleryusa.com.
The Latest From WUN
- Potter League to host 32nd Annual Heart & Sole Walk for Animals at Fort Adams
- The Beach Boys To play Mohegan Sun Arena on New Year’s Eve
- FirstWorks to present “Women Trailblazers in Music” in November
- Now Hiring: 77 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- National Sailing Hall Of Fame inducts Class of 2021