As the 15th year of the C. Thomas Clagett, Jr. Memorial Clinic and Regatta draws to a close The Clagett has been the recipient of two grants from local organizations. These grants will allow The Clagett to continue with its mission to provide opportunities to sailors with adaptive needs to “realize their potential on the water by providing them both the knowledge and tools to improve their skills and the opportunity to use these skills in competition”.
Grants were awarded to The Clagett from the Newport County Chamber of Commerce and the Newport YMCA. These grants will allow The Clagett to continue to expand programs that The Clagett offers to sailors with disabilities. The Newport Chamber of Commerce grant was from the Newport County Development Council Community Fund and the Newport YMCA grant was from the funds raised during the annual Thanksgiving Day Pie Run.
Both the Chamber of Commerce and the YMCA have been long-term partners of The Clagett providing support for Clagett safety equipment studies and promotion of Newport as a sailing event destination for sailors with adaptive needs.
“We are extremely appreciative to both the Newport County Chamber of Commerce and the Newport County YMCA for their generous support of The Clagett. These funds will assist us with the continuing support of sailors with adaptive needs with expanded programs and studies for the benefit of sailors,” commented Clagett President and Co-Founder Judy McLennan.
For more information about The Clagett visit: www.clagettregatta.org or follow the Clagett on Instagram @clagett_regatta or on Facebook Clagett Regatta.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso