The process to fill John Florez’s At-Large seat on Newport City Council is well underway. At the close of the solicitation for applicants on December 15th, eleven Newport residents applied to fill the remaining term on the Council.
The six remaining members of Council will interview all applicants this week, the person selected will serve for the remainder of the current Council term (January 9 through December 1, 2018).
The Charter for the City of Newport states that any vacancies arising from resignation in the membership of the Council shall be filled by four affirmative votes of the remaining members of the Council within thirty days after the Council learns of the vacancy, or in the event of a tie vote or inability to elect, the vacancy shall be filled as soon thereafter as possible by a majority vote if all the remaining members of the Council; provided, however, the Council shall provide for the public solicitation of applicants.
Florez announced on November 22nd that he would be stepping down from the Council for business reasons.
If a public election were held today – who would be your favorite applicant to fill the vacant seat on the Newport City Council?
*Please note – When reviewing the results, please understand that votes can be from anywhere and from anyone, not necessarily Newport residents or voters.
The Latest From WUN
- Irish immigrant women in domestic service topic of upcoming lecture
- Foiling Kiteboarder slashes 1 minute and 14 seconds off Around Jamestown Record
- Living History Event brings re-enactors, spectators to Butts Hill Fort
- Opinion: Portsmouth voters must reject Question 2
- Grammy-Nominated Artist Leigh Nash playing Club Passim Tuesday, November 2