The Polar Bear Plunge scheduled for New Year’s Day at Easton’s Beach has been postponed, organizers indicate that a new date for the event will be announced soon.
The following is the official word from A Wish Come True;
****** OFFICIAL ANNOUNCEMENT******
Please Share to get the word out!
Due to record breaking cold temperatures and wind chill predictions for January 1, 2018 and the concern for our plungers, volunteers and supporters’ safety, A Wish Come True, Inc. is officially postponing the New Years Day Polar Plunge in Newport at Easton’s Beach.
We would like to thank all of you who were willing to join us and hope you will join us in the near future to plunge for Julia’s wish. This will not impact her wish, as we would never turn an ill child away. Granting wishes to children with life-threatening illness is our mission and with all of you as supporters we continue to proudly accomplish our mission. If you would like to make your New Years donation for Julia’s wish, please use our donate feature on our website at https://www.awish.org. We will announce a new date soon.
Please contact us if you have any concerns or questions.
Wishing you all Happy and Healthy New Year!
A Wish Come True, Inc
AWCT Office: 401-781-9199
The City of Newport issued the following press release regarding the plunge on Sunday evening;
PUBLIC SAFETY ANNOUNCEMENT:
TEMPERATURES TOO DANGEROUS FOR NEWPORT POLAR BEAR PLUNG
Every New Year’s Day the Newport Polar Bears Club invite all public to join them for a swim in the ocean for charity. All proceeds from the swim go to the A Wish Come True, an organization that grants wishes to children with life-threatening illnesses in Rhode Island.
Unfortunately, the weather tomorrow is expected to be a high of 15°F, with wind speed of about 14 mph and the Windchill is expected to be around 0°F. Under these conditions, frostbite can occur in less that 30 minutes. Due to these extreme conditions and the risk they pose to swimmers, the City of Newport Director of Public Safety and Newport Emergency Management are asking that the public not swim tomorrow. This weather is dangerous, and caution should be observed to protect one’s safety and well-being.
A Wish Come True agrees with this risk to the public safety, and has postponed this event to a date to be decided in the future. Please wait to swim at this future date.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)