Holiday themed live music is breaking out all over this month and “Six Picks” will have highlights throughout the season. Send us links to holiday shows and we’ll be happy to include them here. Meanwhile …
Melissa Etheridge Saturday
The Park Theatre in Cranston kicks things off this weekend with Melissa Etheridge performing her “Merry Christmas Baby” show Saturday night. She’ll be playing songs from her 2008 holiday album, A New Thought For Christmas, along with her own hits. Holiday fun continues at the Park Sunday night with “Carol of the King, The Irish Dance Christmas Spectacular,” and Monday with Moscow Ballet’s “Great Russian Nutcracker.” Something for everyone this weekend! Details on all three shows here.
Roots at Pump House Music All Weekend
Roots music takes center stage this weekend at Pump Works Music in Peacedale. Friday night, check out travelling troubadour Dan Blakeslee and come back Saturday for RI-based Americana/Celtic legends Atwater Donnelly where you’ll hear a slew o instruments including the mountain dulcimer, old-time banjo, tin whistle, guitar, mandolin, harmonica, limberjacks, feet and more. Complete details here.
Radios Islands Saturday
Pour Judgement is the place to be Saturday night in Newport where Radios Islands (aka Randy Robbins Band) will be kicking it up with a blend of covers and originals. The band features some of Newport’s finest and includes members of Northeast Traffic, Blue Dream, and Townman Charged. Details here.
Hot Tuna Saturday
Hot Tuna comes to the Greenwich Odeum Saturday night in their stripped down acoustic show. The band was founded in 1969 as a side project to Jefferson Airplane, the main gig at the time for bassist Jack Casady and guitar extraordinaire Jorma Kaukonen. We loved then this summer when they opened for Tedeschi Trucks Band at PPAC – details on Saturday’s show here.
Andy Statman Trio Sunday
The Andy Statman Trio comes to Common Fence Music in Portsmouth Sunday night. Statman brings a spirited blend of jazz, bluegrass and klezmer, along with some familiar and less familiar Hanukah music. Check out the video below to see what we mean. Further details here.
Adam Hanna Friday
Check out the contemporary sounds of Adam Hanna this weekend at The Met in Pawtucket. Hanna is a young singer-songwriter and a student at Providence College. He’ll be joined by his band and friends Micaela Braun, Rachael Johnston & Erin McCarthy, Spencer Bebon and DJ Danny McLaughlin. Full details here.
Check out some recent and vintage Hot Tuna below:
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13