Registration is now open for the fifth annual Newport Night Run, which will be held on April 7th, 2018. The 5K road race benefits the Newport Public Education Foundation and is produced by Gray Matter Marketing.
Since it’s inception in 2014, the Newport Night Run has raised more than $10,000 for the Newport Public Education Foundation. The NPEF is an independent, non-profit whose mission is to improve the performance of Newport public school children by enhancing their educational opportunities and by building broad-based community support for quality public education.
The Newport Night Run is Newport’s only after-hours 5K. The course starts and finishes at Rogers High School, following a loop course on Hazards Road, Ocean Drive, Hammersmith Road, Beacon Hill Road and finally returning to Wickham Road for the finish. The course is lined with luminaries and lit mileage markers, and participants are encouraged to wear bright-colored or neon clothing and run with headlamps, lights and glow-sticks.
The event is open to runners and walkers of all ages, with special pricing available for students. Early-bird registration runs through February 28th. Entry fees include an official event shirt and finish line refreshments. More information and registration is available on www.newportnightrun.com.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Gamm Theatre launches fellowship program for emerging artists
- Just Sold: The 25 homes sold in Newport County this past week
- Gubernatorial candidate Treasurer Seth Magaziner joins What’sUpNewp for a live virtual conversation on Wednesday
- On This Day – September 22, 1962: President Kennedy and Jacqueline watch 4th America’s Cup Race off the Coast of Newport
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport