Christmas In Newport, a city-wide celebration fostering the historic traditions of the holiday season, will kick off their 46th season on Friday, December 1st.
With a volunteer base numbering 1500, the non-profit organization, Christmas in Newport, raises thousands of dollars for charity each year. In keeping with the true spirit of the season, any event listed in the annual program must be free of charge or must benefit a non-profit institution or charity.
The Official Opening of Christmas in Newport will take place at 6:00 pm in Washington Square with the Annual Christmas Tree Lighting, cannon salute, live music and more.
The Reason For Clear Lights
In a community collaboration among residents, businesses and the city, only clear bulbs illuminate the scenic harbor and wharves, the restored colonials of the Point and Historic Hill sections, and the Victorian splendor of Bellevue Avenue. The lights are meant to simulate candlelight and are the brainchild of Christmas in Newport founder Ruth Myers, who wished to recapture the candlelit holidays of bygone days.
Christmas In Newport History
Founded in 1971, Christmas in Newport began as a two-week festival that celebrated the noncommercial traditions of the holiday season. Now in its 46th year, the annual program boasts multiple activities for nearly each day of the December calendar.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso