Aquidneck Land Trust (“ALT”) has announced that they have completed improvements to Oakland Forest and Meadow Preserve after receiving a $1,500 grant from the National Association of Realtors.
Two trail kiosks, a trailside bench, and directional trail signage were installed on the 30-acre preserve, one of 77 ALT-conserved properties on Aquidneck Island. The site has a half-mile trail loop through the forest and meadow.
“The trails in the preserve are now more accessible and inviting,” said Chuck Allott, Executive Director of ALT. “Visitors can relax on the bench and learn about the local history of the site through the signage. Oakland Forest has an old-growth beech forest over 250 years old; it is a very special, publicly-accessible property. We encourage people to visit and enjoy this beautiful site.”
Annie Becker, president of the Newport County Board of Realtors, presented ALT with the award in November 2017.
“This generous grant generated several productive collaborations,” said Allott. “Portsmouth Boy Scout Jack Harding, from Troop 1, built and installed two kiosks as part of his Eagle Scout project, Rogers High School students painted the fence at the Oakland Farm entrance, and ALT staff installed the bench and directional signage. Many island residents came together to make these improvements to Oakland Forest and Meadow Preserve, and we are very grateful to them and to the National Association of Realtors for their support.”
The Oakland Forest trailhead is located at the western end of Carriage Drive in Portsmouth.
For more information on the Aquidneck Land Trust, visit www.ailt.org.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now