Bad news for those who frequently visit Subway in downtown Newport, their restaurant at 359 Thames Street has apparently closed.
As of October 16th, the lower Thames Street franchised restaurant has been closed and the windows have been covered with tarps – preventing anyone from seeing what is happening on the inside. The location has also been removed from the Subway’s official store location map.
What’sUpNewp has reached out to Subway’s corporate office for comment and more information, our request has not yet been responded to. Each Subway location is independently owned and operated, contact information for the franchise owner is not available.
The unit that housed Subway had recently been for sale, the real estate sign no longer appears in front of the property. Despite several rumors making their way around town, the official plans for the retail or restaurant location are not immediately known.
There are two other Subway franchises in Newport (104 Broadway and 188 Connell Highway), both are still open for business.
This story has been updated.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts