If you missed Wednesday night’s regular meeting of the Newport City Council, you didn’t miss much. The Council worked through the entire agenda for the night in just 17 minutes, in front of about 10 residents, before going into executive session.
Here’s how things were voted on by City Council (all members were present);
The Consent Calendar was approved in its entirety unanimously, the following special event licenses were approved.
- Tom Whitaker, d/b/a New England Wrap Up Car Show, Easton’s Beach Lot; October 22, 2017 from 9:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.
- Edward King House Senior Center, d/b/a Annual Cocktail Party, Edward King House; October 26, 2017 from 5:30 p.m.-7:30 p.m.
- Michelle Leys, d/b/a My Best Friends Closet Consignment Sale, Elks Lodge; November 9-12, 2017 from 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- Newport Festivals Foundation Inc., d/b/a Newport Folk Festival, Fort Adams State Park; July 27-29, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Newport Festivals Foundation Inc., d/b/a Newport Jazz Festival Opening Night, International Tennis Hall of Fame; August 3, 2018 from 8:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Newport Festivals Foundation Inc., d/b/a Newport Jazz Festival, Fort Adams State Park; August 3-5, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Also, approved (or received with regret) on the Consent Calendar was a Communication from Brenda Bachman, re: Resignation from the Newport Hospitality Commission.
The following Licenses & Permits were approved unanimously;
- Second-hand License, New, Sandra Gaines, d/b/a The Posh and Polished Male, 547 Thames St. – (Hearing) (Continued from September 27, 2017)
- Holiday Selling License, New, Sandra Gaines, d/b/a The Posh and Polished Male, 547 Thames St. (Continued from September 27, 2017)
- Pedicab Business License, Renewal, Andrew Croan, d/b/a Pedi-Power Pedicabs (6 pedicabs), 480 Thames St.
Three individuals were appointed (or reappointed) to Boards and Commissions, the vote by council was unanimous.
The following Communication was received by council and referred to city administration;
- Communication from Haydn Bugden, re: Requesting the City Council to make an exception to Section 17.76.120 of the codified ordinances to allow his business to be able to place a sign on the sidewalk advertising his business Megs’ Aussie Milk Bar located at 111 Bellevue Ave.
The following Communication was approved unanimously by City Council;
- Communication from Newport Prevention Coalition, re: request for approval of funding for a Student Assistance Counselor for the School Department under the Partnership for Success Grant
All three Communication From The City Manager were approved unanimously by City Council;
- Action Item #5695/17 RE: Award of Contract – Website Design and Development (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5696/17 RE: Change Order #2 – #17-028 Water Distribution Main Improvements-2017 (w/accompanying resolution)
- Action Item #5697/17 RE: National Grid Petition – Sharon Court – Relocation of Existing Pole
The Council then adjourned and convened as the Board Of License Commissioners, approving the following unanimously;
- Class F-1- Edward King House Senior Center, Inc., d/b/a Annual Cocktail Party, Edward King House; October 26, 2017 from 5:30 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Class F- Newport Festivals Foundation Inc., d/b/a Newport Folk Festival, Fort Adams State Park; July 27-29, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
- Class F- Newport Festivals Foundation Inc., d/b/a Newport Jazz Festival, Fort Adams State Park; August 2-5, 2018 from 11:00 a.m. to 7:30 p.m.
The City Council Meeting began at 6:30 pm and concluded at 6:47 pm before Council went into Executive Session.
To see the full agenda and full applications from anything discussed tonight, click here.
More From What’s Up Newp
- HGTV Dream Home in Portsmouth hits the market, can now be yours for $2.39 million
- New York Yacht Club submits challenge and evolutionary draft protocol for 37th America's Cup
- Obituary: Minnie Parker
- What Sold: 29 Newport County real estate sales, transactions (May 3 - 10)
- What's Up at The Wayfinder and Nomi Park: Rhode Race activities, poolside yoga, eats, cocktails, and more