Newport Police Department has provided the following information in regards to road closures/detours for the Broadway Street Fair (10/7/17), the Amica Marathon (10-8/17) and the Columbus Day Parade (10/9/17).
Saturday, September 7th – Broadway Street Fair
On Saturday, October 7, 2017 The Second Annual Broadway Street Fair will take place. Broadway will be closed to all motor vehicle traffic between Gould Street and Farewell Street beginning at 0830 hrs. and will reopen at approx. 1900 hrs. Traffic will be rerouted onto Dr. Marcus Wheatland Blvd between Gould and Marlborough Streets. There will be “No Parking” on Broadway between Gould and Farewell beginning at 0700 hrs. as well as the entire west side of Dr. Marcus Wheatland Blvd and both sides of Equality Park West. Newport Police Officers will be posted to assist with the flow of traffic.
Sunday, September 8th – Newport Marathon
On Sunday, October 8, 2017 the Amica Newport Marathon will take place beginning at 0730 hrs. starting on Memorial Blvd at Easton’s Beach. Motorist can expect delays and short temporary stoppages of traffic while runners pass by. Runners will start on Memorial Blvd at Easton’s Beach and run in the westbound lanes and take a left traveling south on lower Thames Street to Wellington Ave to Harrison Ave into and out of Ft. Adams and back on Harrison Ave, to Ridge Road, Castle Hill Ave, Ocean Ave, Bellevue Ave, Ruggles Ave, Ochre Point Ave, Narragansett Ave, Annandale Road, Memorial Blvd back to Easton’s Beach. Marathoners will continue into Middletown via Memorial Blvd for the marathon portion of the race and return and finish at Easton’s Beach.
Monday, September 9th – Columbus Day Parade
On Monday, October 9, 2017 the Columbus Day Parade will step off in front of St. Joseph’s Church on Broadway at 12 noon. Broadway will be closed to all motor vehicle traffic between Gould Street and Farewell Street beginning at 1000 hrs. and will reopen at approx. 1300 hrs. Traffic will be rerouted onto Dr. Marcus Wheatland Blvd between Gould and Marlborough Streets. There will be “No Parking” on Broadway between Gould and Farewell beginning at 10 am. The parade will travel south on Broadway, to Washington Square, south on Thames, south on Americas Cup Ave (in the northbound lanes), and east on Memorial Blvd to the intersection of Memorial Blvd at Bellevue Ave. Motorist can expect delays and short temporary stoppages of traffic along the parade route.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Newport Art Museum to host Newport Day of Design Walking Tour
- Six Picks: The best in live music this weekend – Bristol Porchfest, Los Lobos and the Rascals
- Concert Recap and Photos: The Motels Rock the Odeum (September 16, 2021)
- 4th Annual Cardines Classic featuring Army versus Navy rescheduled to October 1
- Davis Cup will take place at the International Tennis Hall of Fame this weekend
- What’s Up This Weekend in Newport County: Things to do, live music, and more (Sept. 17 – 19)
- Rhode Island Pop-Punk band Another One Down! releases single + video “Headspace”
- 23 open houses happening this weekend (Sept. 17 – 19)
- X Shore: Swedish electric boating brand opens office at Safe Harbor Newport Shipyard
- Westerly Town Manager quits; Police Chief expected to be appointed interim manager