The Run is a 4-mile charity run/walk with 100% of the proceeds going to support nonprofits and local community organizations. The Run provides a rare opportunity for the public to cross over the beautiful Newport Pell Bridge on foot and enjoy the stunning natural scenery Narragansett Bay has to offer.
Early morning motorists in the Jamestown and Newport area should be prepared for slight delays and traffic detours due to the Run. The event will begin at 7:00 a.m. and police will begin blocking off some roads starting at 6:45 a.m. No pedestrians other than registered athletes will be allowed on any part of the Newport Pell Bridge during the Run.
The road closures are as follows:
- East Shore Road – From 6:45 a.m. – 7:45 a.m., East Shore Rd. will be closed between the intersection of Conanicus Avenue and the Rt. 138 on/off ramps.
- Conanicus Avenue – From 6:45 a.m. – 7:45 a.m., Conanicus Ave. will be closed from the Jamestown Golf Course north to the Rt. 138 on-ramp (Newport Pell Bridge).
- Motoring travel on the bridge will be reduced to a single lane. State Police detail will be on site to alternate westbound (from Newport) and eastbound (from Jamestown) travel from 7:00 a.m. – 8:00 a.m.
- Farewell Street- From 7:15 a.m.- 8:45 a.m., Farewell Street will be closed through America’s Cup Avenue
- Van Zandt Avenue – Van Zandt Avenue at the corner of Farewell will also be closed to traffic.
- Expect delays using America’s Cup and Farewell Street until 9:00 a.m.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13