For the first time ever, AmpSurf will hold a clinic in Newport County.
AmpSurf New England will hold an adaptive surfing clinic at Second Beach in Middletown, RI on September 16th, 2017. The event involves adaptive surf therapy with certified adaptive surf instructors and is free for anyone with any kind of disability. The event is from 7 am to 1:30 pm.
“On September 16th we will hold our first local adaptive surfing clinic right here at Second Beach. We are working with Looking Upward and other local organizations to reach those with disabilities here in our local community. We invite all interested individuals to register, and come down to the beach just to check it out. Most of the time they see how awesome and easy it looks and decide they want to try it,” said local event organizer Justin Speegle.
A transplanted but now official Islander, Speegle is a retired armed forces colonel and has been an avid surfer for many years. His work with individuals with disabilities in Newport County is continually expanding, as he spearheads this clinic and other local events such as Tim Tebow’s Night to Shine.
AmpSurf is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization established in 2003 in Pismo Beach, California. Today, AmpSurf has operations in California, New England, and New York with the goal of encouraging injured veterans, adults and children living with disabilities to focus on their abilities, not their disabilities. AmpSurf strives to Promote, Inspire, Educate, and Rehabilitate (PIER
AmpSurf began operating in New England at Long Sands Beach in York, Maine in 2011. In 2013, AmpSurf added events in Nahant Beach in Massachusetts . Last year, AmpSurf made it down to Rhode Island with a surf clinic specifically for veterans at Narragansett Beach.
Thanks to local sponsors, event organizers will be giving away a free commemorative t-shirt to all participants and the first 60 volunteers to register on the AmpSurf.org website. Participants and volunteers will also get coffee, doughnuts and pizza provided by the local sponsors.
Local Sponsors include:
- Island Surf and Sport
- Custom House Coffee
- VFW Post #9404 Veterans Helping Veterans
- University Orthopedics
- Evangelical Friends Church, Newport
- Kingston Pizza
- Del’s Lemonade
- Sweet Berry Farms
- Bridge to Fitness
Anyone interested in participating or volunteering at the surf clinic, can register at ampsurf.org/ampsurf-east-2-2/.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits