The Newport Police Department has received complaints of coyotes in and around Braga Park. Dog walkers are reporting that coyotes are walking very close and following them in the park.
The coyotes have been observed lounging out in the open, near dwellings and have displayed no fear of humans. This behavior may be due to easy food sources in the area and people feeding them.
The Newport Police Department reports that they have not received any information that the coyotes are acting in an aggressive manner and they are actively working on this issue.
Several Newport residents have reported on Nextdoor, a free private social network, that they have seen coyotes recently in the area of Braga Park, Eustis Avenue and Kay Street.
To deter the coyotes from the area, here are some recommendations from Newport Police Department:
• Inform young children not to feed or approach any wild animal.
• Do not leave garbage containers open or accessible to animals.
• Do not feed your pets outdoors.
• Keep cats and small animals in doors.
• Use loud noises to discourage coyotes.
Newport Police Departments reminds dog owners that dogs are required by Newport City Ordinance to be leashed at all times.
If a coyote is observed in the area of Braga Park, call the Newport Police Department at 401-847-1212.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now