The final weekend of August is here, can you believe it? It’s hard to believe that September is around the corner. There’s plenty to be enjoyed in and around Newport County this weekend, enjoy!
Note: Starting today, we’re attempting to put this info up on www.whatsupnewp.com just after midnight each night. We hope this pleases you night owls or early birds who want the info in the early hours of the day.
Of course, we’ll also keep sending out this e-mail every morning, we’re hoping to get it to you by 6 am daily starting Sunday, August 27th.
- Sunrise: 6:06 pm
- Sunset: 7:27 pm
- Low Tide: 4:46 am & 5:17 pm
- High Tide: 12:03 pm
- Today’s WX: Sunny, with a high near 73. Calm wind becoming south 5 to 9 mph in the afternoon. Marine: N winds around 5 kt, becoming S with gusts up to 20 kt this afternoon. Waves 1 to 2 ft.
- Tonight’s WX: Mostly clear, with a low around 58. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Marine: S winds 5 to 10 kt, becoming SW after midnight. Waves 1 foot or less.
- Lunar Phase: The lunar phase will be a Waxing Crescent (moon age is 4 days, lighting is 19%)
- Cruise Ship: None
Latest on What’sUpNewp
7-year-old airlifted to hospital after motor vehicle accident involving a bicycle
Newport Police Department has confirmed that at about 3:00 pm today, Newport Police and Newport Fire Department responded to Hillside Avenue for a report of a motor vehicle accident involving a bicycle. A 7-year-old local boy was treated by Newport Fire Department personnel and then transported by Life Flight to Rhode Island Hospital for treatment.
Fall for Newport: 11 autumn events to fill your calendar
In Newport and its neighboring coastal communities, fall is a time when the air turns as crisp as the ripened apples on the trees and the pace is noticeably slower—but that doesn’t mean things slow down.
Cities across the nation are considering removing Christopher Columbus statues, should Newport?
The recent violence in Charlottesville, racial tension across the nation and the current state of national politics has ignited (or reignited) a debate in State Houses, City Halls, Town Halls and in neighborhoods across the United States about monuments in local communities.
September Secret Garden Tour will take you inside eight prestigious gardens
The Benefactors of the Arts invites you to join them for their Secret Garden Tour, which are self-guided tours of some of the most beautiful, prestigious gardens and properties in historic Newport, on September 8th, 9th and 10th.
30+ things to do this weekend: August 25 – 27
A look at what’s happening, new and to do during this last weekend of August.
Live music and entertainment listings: Aug. 25 – 27
Where to find comedy, live music, dancing, karaoke and more this weekend.
You Might Also Like
Impossible Dream comes to Newport for fundraiser (RI Central)
- Harry’s Happy Hour – Don’t forget to stop by Harry’s Bar & Burger on lower Thames Street for happy hour! Half priced sliders from 3-5pm every day!
- Weekend at Gurney’s – Gurney’s has another entertainment-packed weekend ahead with Jay Friese at 2 pm on Saturday, Million Dollar Bash at 6 pm on Saturday, DJ Nook at 2 pm on Sunday and The C-Note Missionaries at 6 pm on Sunday.
- IHOP Middletown – Late night or early morning? Just a reminder that IHOP on West Main Road in Middletown is open from 6 am to 12 am Sunday thru Thursday and 6 am to 3 pm on Friday and Saturday.
- J Class World Championship
- 9 am – Fort Adams Trust will host Civil War Reenactment
- 9 am to 1 pm – Middletown Aquidneck Growers Market at Newport Vineyards
- 10 am to 5 pm – Redwood Annual Book Sale at Redwood Library
- 11:55 am – Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta – First Warning Signal – Bristol to Newport Rendezvous
- 12 pm to 5 pm – Newport Historical Society’s Largest Reenactment to Date Will Focus on 1777 British Occupation
- 1 pm – Briana White @ Newport Vineyards
- 2 pm, 4:45 pm & 7:30 pm – Wind River at Jane Pickens Theater
- 2 pm to 10:30 pm – Salute to Summer at Naval Station Newport
- 2 pm – American Revolution in Newport Tour
- 5 pm – Newport Polo Series – Newport Vs. New York at Newport International Polo Grounds
- 6 pm – Newport White Party 2017 at Newport Harbor Hotel & Marina
- 6 pm – Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta – Cocktail Party at IYRS, Newport – Free and Open to the Public with Music by Honky Tonk Knights
- 6 pm – Rose Island Sip & Support Wine Tasting on Rose Island
- 6 pm to 10 pm – Summer Party at Mariner Gallery
- 8 pm – Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
Entertainment & Live Music Listings
- Buskers: Brian Twohey at 8 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room at 10 pm
- Dockside: Chopville and Never In Vegas at 10 pm
- Firehouse Theater: The Bit Players at 8 pm
- Gas Lamp Grille: Big Me at 10 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards (Portsmouth): Dick Lupino and friends at 1 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille (Portsmouth): Lisa Couto & Ray Cooke at 6:30 pm
- Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina: Jay Friese @ 2, Million Dollar Bash @ 6
- Hotel Viking: Phenix Ave at 5:30 pm (Top Of Newport)
- Jane Pickens Theater: Wind River at 2pm, 4:45 pm & 7:30 pm
- Jimmy’s Saloon: The Papa Joe Show at 5 pm, ICE GIANT / IONEYE / Screams of Hockomock at 9 pm
- Landing: Live music at 1 pm, Jim Devlin at 4:30 pm, Straight Outta Rehab at 8 pm, DJ & Dancing upstairs at 10 pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10 pm
- Narragansett Cafe (Jamestown): Take It To The Bridge at 9 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Pulse at 10 pm
- Newport Grand: Rumors, Kashmir at 9 pm
- Newport Vineyards: Briana White from 1 pm to 4 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: Laureate at 8 pm, DJ C-Gray at 10 pm
- One Pelham East: Live music at 9:30 pm
- Pour Judgement: Love Handle at 9 pm
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Anamcara at 7 pm
- Speakeasy Bar & Grille: Live music at 10 pm
- Studio 3: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Tavern On Broadway: Live music at 10 pm.
- The Beachcomber (Portsmouth): Triple Threat at 9 pm
- The Cafe at Parlor: Delly Ranx at 9 pm
- The Port: The Blenders at 2 pm, John Erikson at 7 pm
- The Wharf Pub: Live music at 9 pm
Want to make sure you never miss a thing? Subscribe and receive this in your inbox every morning.
Did we miss something? Hit reply and let us know!
Love what we do? Support what we do…Become a What’sUpNewp Member today! Seriously, it starts at five bucks a month. You can do this.
We’ll see you out there,