- Sunrise: 6:05 pm
- Sunset: 7:29 pm
- Low Tide: 4:12 am & 4:35 pm
- High Tide: 11:14 am & 11:34 pm
- Today’s WX: Mostly sunny, with a high near 77. North wind 7 to 9 mph becoming west in the afternoon. Marine: NW winds 5 to 10 kt. Waves around 2 ft.
- Tonight’s WX: Mostly clear, with a low around 56. West wind around 7 mph becoming north after midnight. Marine: NW winds around 5 kt. Waves 1 foot or less
- Lunar Phase: The lunar phase will be a Waxing Crescent (moon age is 3 days, lighting is 12%)
- Cruise Ship: None
Latest on What’sUpNewp
Dawn Euer will be sworn in as Senator of District 13 on September 5th
Just two weeks after winning the Special Election for Senate District 13, Dawn Euer will officially be sworn in to represent the people of Newport and Jamestown on Tuesday, September 5th at 3 pm.
40 classic yachts will parade in Newport Harbor on Sunday morning
Of interest to many will be the Classic Yacht Parade on Sunday, August 27th that will include the 40 competing yachts parading throughout Newport Harbor. The parade will begin at 10:30 am from the entrance of Narragansett Bay to Newport Harbor. The final day of racing gets underway immediately after the parade.
Congressional, Defense and Innovation Leaders to Speak in Newport at Defense Innovation Days
The Rhode Island Congressional delegation and other Defense leaders are set to speak at the Southeastern New England Defense Industry Alliance’s (SENEDIA) Fourth Annual Defense Innovation Days conference at the Newport Marriot on August 28 – August 30.
30+ things to do this weekend: August 25 – 27
A look at what’s happening, new and to do during this last weekend of August.
Live music and entertainment listings: Aug. 25 – 27
Where to find comedy, live music, dancing, karaoke and more this weekend.
On This Day in Newport History: Van Johnson, Actor and Dancer, Was Born in Newport on August 25, 1916
Van Johnson, a popular Hollywood star in the ’40s and ’50s with such films as “30 Seconds over Tokyo,” “A Guy Named Joe” and “The Caine Mutiny,” was born on August 25, 1916 in Newport, RI.
A popular story that we published 2 years ago today – Built Before 1765: Oldest Buildings in Newport, RI
This Is Your Perfect Weekend in Newport, RI, Planned! (PopSugar) – Despite what they say, Taylor Swift does not own a mansion in Newport.
Steeped In History, Majestic J Class Boats Return To Newport (WBUR) – J Class racing continues to pick up the press.
Report Cites Abuse In Portsmouth Boarding School By Former Monks (Rhode Island Public Radio) – A new report commissioned by the Portsmouth Abbey School, a Catholic boarding school, describes what it calls “credible allegations” of sexual abuse.
- Harry’s Happy Hour – Don’t forget to stop by Harry’s Bar & Burger on lower Thames Street for happy hour! Half priced sliders from 3-5pm every day!
- Weekend at Gurney’s – Gurney’s has another entertainment-packed weekend ahead with live music at 6 pm on Friday, Jay Friese at 2 pm on Saturday, Million Dollar Bash at 6 pm on Saturday, DJ Nook at 2 pm on Sunday and The C-Note Missionaries at 6 pm on Sunday.
- IHOP Middletown – Late night or early morning? Just a reminder that IHOP on West Main Road in Middletown is open from 6 am to 12 am Sunday thru Thursday and 6 am to 3 pm on Friday and Saturday.
- J Class World Championship
- Fort Adams Civil War Weekend
- 10 am to 5 pm – Redwood Annual Book Sale at Redwood Library
- 4:45 pm & 7:30 pm – Wind River at Jane Pickens Theater
- 7 pm – Disco Throwback Bash at Common Fence Point
- 8 pm – Alive! at the Salvation Army Hall
- 8 pm – Live improv comedy with The Bit Players at The Firehouse Theater
Entertainment & Live Music Listings
- Buskers: Pat Cottrell at 9 pm
- Celtica: Karaoke at 10 pm
- Clarke Cooke House: DJ & Dancing in the Boom Boom Room at 10 pm
- Dockside: Live music at 10 pm
- Firehouse Theater: The Bit Players at 8 pm
- Greenvale Vineyards (Portsmouth): Gumption & Glory with Haunt The House at 6 pm
- Gulf Stream Bar & Grille (Portsmouth): Live music at 6:30 pm
- Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina: Live music at 6 pm
- Hotel Viking: Live music at 5:30 pm (Top of Newport)
- Jane Pickens Theater: Wind River at 4:45 pm & 7:30 pm
- Jimmy’s Saloon: Live music at 9 pm
- Jo’s American Bistro: John & Joanne at 7 pm
- Landing: Sean Rivers at 1 pm, DJ & Dancing upstairs at 10 pm
- Midtown Oyster Bar: Live music at 10 pm
- Narragansett Cafe (Jamestown): The Nasties at 9 pm
- Newport Blues Cafe: Sugar at 10 pm
- Newport Grand: Mondo Soul at 9 pm
- O’Brien’s Pub: John Erikson at 4:30 pm, DJ Remedy at 10 pm
- One Pelham East: Blockhead at 10 pm
- Pour Judgement: Jason Cardinal at 9 pm
- Rusty’s (Middletown): Queensboro Hustlers at 8:30 pm
- Saltwater at Newport Harbor Hotel: Roots Reaction at 7 pm
- Speakeasy Bar & Grille: Live music at 10 pm
- Studio 3: Dueling Pianos at 7:30 pm
- Tavern On Broadway: Live music at 10 pm.
- The Beachcomber (Portsmouth): Straight Outta Providence at 9 pm
- The Cafe at Parlor Newport: The Danny Roaman Experience/Z Boys/Melissa Chaplin at 9 pm
- The Port: Terry Bradley at 6 pm
- The Wharf Pub: Brian Scott at 9 pm
Want to make sure you never miss a thing? Subscribe and receive this in your inbox every morning.
Did we miss something? Hit reply and let us know!
Love what we do? Support what we do…Become a What’sUpNewp Member today! Seriously, it starts at five bucks a month. You can do this.
We’ll see you out there,