Following a weekend where several musicians from the Newport Folk Festival popped by for surprise performance, Gurney’s Resort & Marina has announced they have more planned for this weekend.
Questlove, best known as the drummer and joint frontman or The Roots, will perform a DJ set at The Pineapple Club at Gurney’s on Sunday, August 6th at 8 pm.
“Spend sunset at The Pineapple Club, with live music and surprise sets by Newport Jazz Festival headliners including DJ set by Questlove on Sunday at 8 pm. Music starts at 6 pm, Thursday – Sunday,” Gurney’s announced via e-mail today.
Questlove, who is known as a percussionist, multi-instrumentalist, DJ, music journalist, record producer, actor, and co-producer of Hamilton, is scheduled to perform at the Newport Jazz Festival on Sunday as part of the Philadelphia Experiment (Questlove, Christian McBride and Uri Caine) and close out the festival with The Roots.
Formed in 1987, in Philadelphia, PA, the legendary Roots Crew, consists of Black Thought (MC), Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson (drums), Kamal Gray (electronic keyboards), F. Knuckles (percussion), Captain Kirk Douglas (electronic guitar), Damon Bryson (sousaphone) and James Poyser (electronic keyboard).
Recently The Roots were named one of the greatest live bands around by Rolling Stone, became the official house band on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon where they currently perform every Monday- Friday. The Roots celebrated the release of their 11th studio album …and then you shoot your cousin in May 2014.
The Pineapple Club, formerly known as Pineapples when the hotel was the Hyatt, is the outdoor restaurant and bar at Gurney’s Resort & Marina.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13
- Guest View – Sean O’Connor: Importance of Pride all year
- Home on Chastellux Avenue in Newport sells for $7.1 million