Linda C. Byers, 77, of Blenheim Senior Living Community peacefully went home to the Lord with her family at her bedside on Monday July 31, 2017.
Born in Uniontown, PA on December 20, 1939, she was the only daughter of the late Peter and Elvira Susano. After attending St. John’s Catholic High School, Linda attended California State Teachers College of Pennsylvania, where she received a BS degree in education in 1961. She taught school for several years, including a year while she lived overseas in the Philippines with her husband, Roger, who was serving in the Navy. She moved to Middletown, RI in 1969, when her husband was assigned to his final duty at the Naval War College in Newport. In 1974, they moved to Portsmouth, RI where she resided until 2012. She and her husband were members of Portsmouth’s Town Howlers Square Dance Club for many years. Linda was a member of the Bella Donnas, an Italian Heritage Women’s Group. She also had an avid passion for gardening, always having a beautiful variety of plants and flowers throughout the year. Linda was a faithful communicant of St. Barnabas Church in Portsmouth, RI and was employed there for 13 years serving as the Faith Formation secretary. She previously worked for Carey Richmond & Viking and Harper, and Ramos & Sheridan Real Estate Offices.
Although Linda endured dialysis treatments 3 times a week for over 5 years, she always kept her sense of humor and was an emotionally strong individual.
Linda was predeceased by her husband, Roger in 1990.
She is survived by her son, Thomas of Westerly, RI, and her daughters Janice Byers Sullivan and her husband, Dennis, of Middletown, RI, and Jill Byers O’Neill and her husband, Brian, of Wakefield, RI. She also leaves five grandchildren, Matthew and Cameron Sullivan, Hudson and Reagan Byers, and Madeleine O’Neill.
As an only child, she became like a sister with her three sisters-in-laws, Eleanor Byers Donato of Edina, Minnesota, the late Ruth Byers Leudemann of Pittsburgh, PA and Dorothy Byers Elsey of Canton, OH.
A Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated at St. Barnabas Church, 1697 E Main Road, Portsmouth, RI, on Saturday, August 5th at 10:00 AM.
Calling hours are respectfully omitted and the burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the St. Barnabas Church to help with their Youth Mission.
Condolences and additional information available at memorialfuneralhome.com
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools