Lauramae Magnett, of 76 Broadway, Newport, RI passed away on Wednesday, August 30, 2017 at Newport Hosptial. She was the wife of the late James H. Magnett and the daughter of the late George W. French and Lauramae (Carpenter) Collier.
Lauramae was born in Newport, RI on August 31, 1935. She was educated in the Newport School System. Her work history included being a Practical Nurse at Newport Hospital, an employee of General Electric and a Head Start teacher. She placed her career on hold to take care of her father, mother and husband, and was later employed at Heatherwood Nursing Center.
She leaves her two children, Cynthia Magnett of East Providence, RI and Tracy Johnson of Fall River, MA; her aunt, Dolores Means of Florida; five grandchildren and three great-grandchildren. She was preceded in death by her daughter, Denise Mitchell.
Lauramae was very active on committees for anti-poverty agencies in Newport, including better lunch programs and affordable housing. She was a member of Harriet Tubman Temple. She was also an avid dancer in the Debutante Dance Troop, under the leadership of Norman Jackson. Lauramae was a member of Community Baptist Church in Newport.
Her family, many friends and acquaintances will miss her charitable conversations and loving ways.
Visitation will be held on Saturday, September 2, 2017 from 11:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m. the Community Baptist Church, 50 Dr. Marcus Wheatland Blvd, Newport, RI, with a service at 12:00 p.m. in the church.
Burial will follow in Trinity Cemetery in Portsmouth, RI.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library