NEWPORT, R.I. – Ending the 2017 New England Collegiate Baseball League campaign on a season-high seven-game winning streak, the Newport Gulls finished 20–22 overall, holding onto the fourth place spot in the Southern Division. Having four NECBL All-Stars, over 40,000 total fans attend 19 games at Cardines Field and two back-to-back walk-off victories, the Gulls completed the 2017 NECBL season on a high note.
Upon the completion of the regular season on August 1st, Kameron Misner led the NECBL in batting average at .378. The Missouri product paced the Gulls in batting average, hits (51), doubles (13), RBI (25), walks (28), stolen bases (14), and tied the team-lead in home runs with eight. Misner was the starting left fielder for the NECBL Southern Division All-Star Team.
Andrew Daschbach, Ty Duvall and Kyle Mora were also named 2017 NECBL All-Stars. Daschbach ended the season batting .321 with eight home runs and 23 RBI as Duvall hit .290 while logging five home runs and 12 RBI. Mora completed the campaign leading the team with 35 innings pitched, while striking out 32 batters. Shay Smiddy finished with a team-low ERA of 1.71 through 21 innings pitched while Matt Murphy had a 1.72 ERA over 15.2 innings thrown, pacing the Gulls with four saves.
But, Newport did not only achieve success on the field. The Gulls had promotional achievements as well. Cardines Field’s first-ever Christmas in July Night on July 3rd saw fans make over 200 toy donations for Lucy’s Hearth with an attendance of 2,876. Lucy’s Hearth provides 24-hour shelter for mothers and their children who are homeless due to economic hardships, divorce, eviction, and family crisis. For Host Family Appreciation Night on July 26th, the Gulls had 3,127 fans attend, a season-high.
The entire Newport Gulls organization is extremely thankful of the support throughout the season from the fans, community and all of its sponsors. Newport will now turn the page to begin preparations for the 2018 season.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now