This summer, beginning July 16 through September, 24, 2017, St. Mary’s Church in Newport, Rhode Island will host a series of Sunday afternoon concerts at 3pm in the historic church where Jacqueline Bouvier married then Senator John F. Kennedy.
The musical series is hosted by and features Cody Mead, the Music Director at St. Mary’s plus other guest organists.
“We realized Newport’s many summer tourists have an avid interest in visiting St. Mary’s, a national historic landmark, however, we cannot leave it open and unattended due to safety issues,” said Father Kris Von Maluski, pastor at St. Mary’s. “Our Sunday afternoon musical series will allow guests to visit the church and listen to wonderful musical selections featuring the talented Mr. Mead and the magnificent Casavant organ, newly restored.”
The Series (3-4pm each Sunday)
- July 16 French Romantic Music
- July 30 Theme TBA
- August 6 Orchestral Transcriptions; music of Franz Shubert, Edward Elgar, Samuel Coleridge Taylor and Edvard Grieg
- August 13 Preludes and Fugues of J. S. Bach
- August 20 20th Century Music
- August 27 Theme TBA
- September 3 Theme TBA
- September 10 Theme TBA
- September 17 Theme TBA
- September 24 Theme TBA
A goodwill donation of $10 is suggested for each concert
All proceeds from the presentation go to the restoration of St. Mary’s choir loft and newly refurbished Casavant pipe organ.
For information on historic St. Mary’s, a National Historic Landmark, go to http://www.stmarynewport.org/History
The Latest From WUN
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more
- Bowzer’s Rock ‘N’ Doo-Wop Party 20th Anniversary coming to Mohegan Sun Jan. 16