Six Picks is our weekly column that features some of the best in local music. We’ve got you covered for the next few days with shows all around RI. Check out “picks” below. (Pictured: Elvis Costello at the 2016 Newport Folk Festival, Photo: Ken Abrams)
Jillian Jensen Tonight
A rare show comes to the Newport Vineyards tonight as American Idol and X Factor contestant Jillian Jensen will be appearing. The Massachusetts native has been singing since the age of 2 and recently worked with Demi Lovato. So grab a glass of wine and dinner at the “Midsummer’s Eve Concert.” Music begins at 7PM – further details here.
Deer Tick Monday
The unofficial start of the Newport Folk Festival happens Monday night July 24 at the Ocean Mist in Matunuck. That’s when hometown rockers and NFF stalwarts Deer Tick begin a week of wide-ranging misbehavior. The show is sold out, but you can catch a couple of other shows at the Mist this weekend when G. Love plays on Saturday and the Mallett Brothers Band plays Sunday. Queen, NY band Hollis Brown opens for the Tick – Complete details here.
Arc Iris Friday and Saturday
The Providence based indie band Arc Iris is bringing a special show to two venues this weekend. They are wrapping up their tour featuring a re-imagining of Joni Mitchell’s classic album Blue. See what it’s all about Friday at Pop in Providence or Saturday at The Pump House in Wakefield. For more, check out our full preview and interview with Zach Tenorio-Miller here.
Elvis Costello Tuesday
Legendary rocker Elvis Costello and the Imposters are coming Providence Tuesday July 25 for a show at the Providence Performing Arts Center. The show, “Imperial Bedroom and Other Chambers” is a celebration of the landmark 1982 album, Imperial Bedroom… and more! Tour reports suggest quite a show is in store – the band played a total of 29 songs at a recent concert. A few tickets remain – details here.
Pawtucket will be rocking Saturday night to the sounds of The Mighty Mighty Bosstones who headline a show at The Met. They’ll be playing their classic Let’s Face It in its entirety, and they’re bringing some of their closest ska/reggae/rock friends along. Listen all night long inside the Met and outside in the courtyard with bands including The Copacetics, Bim Skala Bim and The Agents. Music starts at 7PM – complete details here.
Ruth Ruth Saturday
90’s Punk Rock will rule the Columbus Theater in Providence Saturday night when NYC’s Ruth Ruth headline a show with a couple of local bands along for the ride. Ruth Ruth made a splash in 1995 with the release of the critically acclaimed album Laughing Gallery. Tall Teenagers along with Eric and the Nothing open at 9PM- details here.
The Latest From What's Up Newp
- Vaccinate the Ocean State: Mini-grants available to nonprofits, organizations to support vaccine promotion
- Olympic Swimmer Elizabeth Beisel will make a record-breaking swim to Block Island (Updated)
- What’s Up Interview: Ben Folds coming to The Vets Friday, Sept. 24
- Legislation signed that makes civics education proficiency a requirement for all public high school graduates
- Sour Grapes – A Comic Strip by Tim Jones: September 21
- On This Day In History – September 21: Hurricane of ’38 hits Newport
- On This Day In History – September 21 – 22, 1963: Video of President John F. Kennedy and family at Hammersmith Farm
- Ticket Giveaway – Walden playing at Narragansett Brewery Friday, Sept. 24
- “This American Life” contributor David Sedaris coming to Jane Pickens Theater Sept. 28-29
- RI Arts and Humanities Councils award nearly $1 million in grants with federal funds to 121 culture, humanities, arts nonprofits