Troop 3 Newport held a Court of Honor recently at the Elks Lodge #104 to celebrate the achievements of their 21 scouts who earned 20 merit badges. Eight scouts advanced in rank. David Sigler’s Eagle dinner took place on June 25 and three Eagle candidates have completed their leadership projects and are working on their paperwork. The scoutmaster awarded two adult leaders with outstanding leadership awards: Steve Hebda, T/3 Committee Chair and Bill Serth, T/3 Camping Director. The troop itself recently received the Journey To Excellence –gold- from their Unit Commissioner Nick Serantakis. It also recently celebrated its 70th anniversary. Troop 3 was chartered by the parent organization at Sheffield School in 1947.
Besides award ceremony giving out the badges earned and the tapping-in for rank advancements, another feature of a Troop 3 Court of Honor is the scouts presenting recent events and details of their plans for the upcoming Spring & Summer schedule in a slide show. Recent activities were skill building and community service opportunities for scouts to challenge themselves. As this is a scout lead BSA troop, family and friends enjoyed photos and videos narrated by the scouts describing their winter and spring experiences.
Recent winter and spring activities include:
- Canoe Trip on the Narrow River
- Buck Hill Hike on RI North /South Trail
- Camp Cachelot Bike Trip
- Ian Ellermann’s Eagle Project at Miantonomi Park
- Elks Flag Day, Newport
- Rock Climbing Lock-in
- Winter campout at Camp Bell
Upcoming spring & summer events include:
- Weekly volleyball games on Tuesday night
- National Jamboree in West Virginia
- Summer camp in New Hampshire
Troop 3 Newport bid farewell to three scouts who will be joining troops in other countries. Joachim Andersen will be returning to Denmark after living a year in Middletown. David and Aiden Lara-Smith will be moving with their family to South Korea where their father has been posted.
The following awards were presented at Newport Troop 3’s recent Court of Honor:
- Scout Gunnar Ellermann
- Aiden Lara-Smith
- William Olsen
- Tenderfoot Joachim Andersen
- Second Class Michael Roche
- First Class Noah Manuel
- Star Noah Manuel
- Dylan McGrath
- Life Mac Cullen
- Aiden Lara-Smith Climbing
- Tyler Wright Climbing
- Jack Sigler Climbing
- Michael Del Guercio First Aid
- Noah Manuel Personal Mgmt, Robotics
- Dylan McGrath Personal Mgmt
- Jack Hallett Family Life, Climbing
- Mac Cullen Family Life, Climbing
- Ian Ellermann Family Life
- Peter Hebda Personal Fitness, Wilderness Survival, Family Life
- Derek Hallett Family Life
- David Lara-Smith Family Life, Climbing, Cit in the Community
- Daniel O’Donnell Personal Fitness
Troop 3 is sponsored by Newport Elks Lodge #104 and is a member of BSA Narragansett Council. Boys in Troop 3 range in age from 11-17 years old. They attend All Saints STEAM Academy, St. Andrews School, Gaudet and Thompson Middle Schools, Rogers, Middletown and Bishop Hendricken High Schools and some scouts are home schooled.
Boy Scouts of America has three objectives: character development, citizenship training and personal fitness. For more information about BSA Troop 3 Newport, please call Glenn Gardiner at 401 846-9583 x 2002.