Elizabeth “Dale” Smith, 76, of Newport, RI died Saturday, July 8, 2017 at Grand Islander Health Care Center of Middletown, RI. Dale was born December 23, 1940 in Newport, RI. She was the daughter of the late Stanley and Florence (Tierney) Raynor. She was the wife of Frank E Smith Jr. for 53 years.
Dale attended school at St. Joseph’s School and St. Catherine’s Academy. She went on to receive her associate’s degree in health services from Mount Ida College. Employed by Newport Hospital for 50 years, she worked as a medical coder and medical transcriptionist. She also was a member of the Board of Auxiliary of Newport Hospital.
She had a longtime passion with gardening and was a member of the Seaside Garden Club. Dale was also a member of her high school reunion committee. Whether she was spending time with her family or gardening, Dale cherished time at the beach, boating and skiing with her extended family of friends. She also enjoyed spending time at Redwood Library.
In addition to her husband, Dale is survived by her daughter Stephanie L (Smith) Ledoux and her husband Bert of Rehoboth, MA, her brother Stanley Lawrence Raynor of Sarasota, FL, two grandsons Nathan and Nicholas Ledoux, and she leaves behind her nieces living in Arkansas and nephews who reside in Illiniois.
Dale will always be remembered as a generous volunteer and caring friend to many with her great smile and warm laughter.
A memorial service will be celebrated Saturday July 15, 2017 at 10:00 AM in St. Joseph’s Church, Broadway at Mann Ave, Newport, RI
Calling hours are respectfully omitted and burial to be at a later date.
Donations in her memory can be made to the Newport Fire Department Rescue Fund, 21 West Marlboro Street Newport, RI 02840
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools