A new farmers market is coming to Newport next week.
The Newport Health Equity Zone and the Aquidneck Community Table have announced that on July 11 they will launch the North Side Community Market. Located at Pell Elementary School, 35 Dexter Street, the new Community Market will run every Tuesday through August 29, from 2:30 – 6 PM. The market will take place in the field between the parking lots at the school.
Every week, rain or shine, the market will host two or more farmers, activities for children, music and community programs. Customers will be able to make purchases using cash, and the Fresh Buck system to purchase market tokens with credit, debit or SNAP benefits. SNAP customers will receive a 40% free bonus to purchase fresh fruits and vegetables. WIC and Senior coupons will also be accepted.
And the market’s first 100 customers will receive a $5 coupon to spend on anything at the market.
This market is a collaboration between the Food Access Working Group of the Newport Health Equity Zone and Aquidneck Community Table, which manages both existing farmers markets in Newport and Middletown.
Visit the Newport Health Equity Zone website at www.newporthealthequity.com/working-groups to read more about the Food Access Working Group and other Newport Health Equity Zone initiatives.
The North Side Community Market joins the Newport Aquidneck Growers Market, held on Wednesdays on Memorial Blvd. and Middletown Aquidneck Growers Market, held on Saturdays at Newport Vineyards.
The Latest From WUN
- Holidays at the Newport Mansions returns to The Breakers, Marble House, and The Elms starting November 20
- Oakland Forest in Portsmouth will be inducted into the national Old-Growth Forest Network
- Stop & Shop to hold a one-day career fair at all 27 Rhode Island locations
- RI Music Educators call on state, school districts to fund music & arts education
- Wilbury Theatre Group launches Pay-What-You-Can ticket structure for all performances