Island Moving Company will present its eighth annual Great Friends Dance Festival, taking place July 19-23, 2017 at the Great Friends Meeting House in Newport, RI. Performances, which are unique each night, are at
Performances, which are unique each night, are at 7:30 pm. Tickets for the performances are $28; $23 for seniors and students; all tickets $30 at the door. Tickets and $120 5 FlexPasses are available at the website: www.islandmovingco.org. The Meeting House is located at 30 Marlborough Street, Newport, RI.
The Great Friends Dance Festival is five nights of performance, with a unique shared bill each night, in the intimate and historic 1699 Great Friends Meeting House in the heart of Newport.
Artistic Director Miki Ohlsen has invited a diverse roster of guest companies to share performance and creative time at the Festival this year, including New York companies Matthew Westerby Company, (7/21-22) Trainor Dance(7/21 + 7/23) and choreographer Attila Joey Csiki (7/20 + 7/23), Staycee Pearl dance project from Pittsburgh (7/19), Dimensions Dance Theatre of Miami (7/19-20 + 7/22), Boston’s Kat Nasti Dance (7/19-20 + 7/23) and Breathing Art Company from Bari, Italy (7/20, 7/22-23).
This year’s residency company is Missouri Contemporary Ballet, under the direction of Karen Grundy. MCB returns to Newport after a successful Touring Project Exchange in 2012. As the resident company for the Great Friends Touring Project, MCB will host Island Moving Company for performances in Columbia, Missouri in 2018.
This year, the Great Friends Dance Festival opens with a workshop on Career Transition for Dancers conducted by Patch Schwadron, Senior Career Counselor at the Actors Fund in New York.
The workshop is open to dancers from any discipline and will be held at the Island Moving Company studios at 3 Charles Street in Newport, RI. The Great Friends Dance Festival includes master classes, open rehearsals, performance and the creation of a daily Etude, created by festival choreographers with a group of self-selected dancers from among the festival’s artists. During the Festival, a “Big Piece” is commissioned each year, created with all available Festival dancers and presented on the Festival’s final nights. The Big Piece this year will be made by visiting choreographer Karen Grundy. Other works presented by Island Moving Company at the Festival will include works by Miki Ohlsen, Company members Glen Lewis and Shane Farrell and a new duet by Virginia choreographer Scott Putman.
A roster of Festival activities and information about the Great Friends Touring Project as well as detailed performance information for each night’s program is available at the website: www.islandmovingco.org.
The Great Friends Dance Festival is made possible with the support of the Newport Historical Society.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13