Yacht fans, mark your calendars – you won’t want to miss this celebration of classic yachts coming up next month: The Annual Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta.
For this year’s event, the 38th Annual Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta (PNCYR) and the Panerai Herreschoff Classic Yacht Regatta (PHCYR) have been consolidated into a four-day celebration of classic yachts that will be known as the Narragansett Bay Classic Yacht Rendezvous.
“We’re bringing together people who have a passion for motor and sail,” event co-chair Jamie Hilton said. “In the future, this event has the potential here in Newport – the sailing capital of the U.S. – to rival some of the classic yacht events in Europe,” he said.
The regatta will kick off Saturday, August 26th with a race from Bristol to Newport followed by racing on lower Narragansett Bay on Sunday, August 27th. Additionally, there will be a collection of classic motor yachts rallying from Bristol to Newport on Saturday, congregating at the Alofsin Piers at Fort Adams after spectating the day of racing.
The best vantage points to catch Sunday’s Classic Yacht Parade will be anywhere along the waterfront in the harbor – Goat Island, Fort Adams, Bowens Wharf, Bannisters Wharf and Perotti Park.
“There will be a great cocktail party on Saturday night in Restoration Hall at IYRS,” Hilton said. “It’s open to the public and cash bar.” About 250 attendees are expected to attend. RSVP to the cocktail party on Facebook here.
Schedule of Events:
Saturday, August 26th
- 12 – 4pm Narragansett Bay Classic Yacht Rendezvous
- 6 – 9pm Cocktail Party at IYRS (Open to the public, RSVP here)
Sunday August 27th
- 10:30am Classic Yacht Parade
- 12 – 4pm Racing – lower Narragansett Bay
- 6 – 7:30pm Cocktails at IYRS
- 7:30 – 9:30pm Awards Dinner at IYRS
Founded in 1980 by a group of Newport-based classic yacht owners and fans who wanted to preserve and promote the culture of classic yachting, the Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta (PNCYR) brings together yachts designed and built by some of the greatest American masters. The PNCYR is the final stage of the North American Circuit of the Panerai Classic Yachts Regatta.
Winners of the Panerai Series are awarded at the ceremony on Sunday evening, August 27th. New for 2017, the 38th Annual Panerai Newport Classic Yacht Regatta and the Panerai Herreschoff Classic Yacht Regatta have been consolidated into a four-day celebration of classic yachts, both power and sail, that will be known as the Narragansett Bay Classic Yacht Rendezvous.
More From What’s Up Newp
- What’s Up at the Movies: We Review “Those Who Wish Me Dead”
- Renowned RI stone carver Nick Benson to create unique art installation at Farm Fresh RI
- Rhode Island Marine Archaeology Project to resume training classes
- How America’s partisan divide over pandemic responses played out in the states
- WUN-ON-ONE: A virtual video conversation with Melanie Chartoff, comedian, actress, and author