Four of the candidates vying for the Senate District 12 (Newport, Jamestown) seat participated in “An Evening Of Conversation” at Newport Public Library on Tuesday evening.
Hosted by the Newport Democratic City Committee and moderated by Bud Cicilline, the two-hour event provided the opportunity for the candidates to introduce themselves and for members of the public to ask questions of the candidates for more than 90 minutes.
All four Democratic candidates, John Florez, David Allard, David Hanos and Dawn Euer, participated in the event and will face off in a Democratic Primary on Tuesday, July 18th.
The audience, which included more than 60 local residents, asked questions relating to education, elder affairs, tourism, guns, the North End and women’s rights.
Candidates are seated (L-R) – John Florez, David Allard, David Hanos and Dawn Euer.
The winner of the Democratic Primary on July 18th will face Republican Michael Smith, Independent Kim Ripoli and Green Party Candidate Gregory Larson on August 22nd. In order to get their name on the ballot, all candidates must turn in at least 100 signatures by Tuesday, June 20th at 4 pm.
What’sUpNewp will host a Candidate Forum on Monday, July 10th that will feature all seven candidates at Jane Pickens Theater. The event will be moderated by Ian Donnis of Rhode Island Public Radio, Ted Nesi of WPRI and Frank Prosnitz of What’sUpNewp and What’sUpRhodeIsland. The event is free and open to the public, register here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/senate-district-13-candidate-forum-tickets-35188643179
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts