George Wein and Christian McBride have announced that legendary guitarist and Living Colour founder Vernon Reid will perform a special set on the Storyville stage and guest with DJ Logic’s Project Logic at the 2017 Newport Jazz Festival presented by Natixis Global Asset Management, which takes place August 4 – 6 at Fort Adams State Park and the International Tennis Hall of Fame at the Newport Casino.
Festival artists include The Roots; Béla Fleck & The Flecktones; Snarky Puppy; Andra Day; Leslie Odom, Jr.; Branford Marsalis Quartet; Trombone Shorty & Orleans Avenue; Rhiannon Giddens, Christian McBride Big Band with Special Guests; Cécile McLorin Salvant; Maria Schneider Orchestra; Hudson: Jack DeJohnette, Larry Grenadier, John Medeski & John Scofield; Maceo Parker; Vijay Iyer & Wadada Leo Smith and many more. Stay tuned for additional information on festival artists in the coming weeks.
For the complete line-up, tickets and more information, visit www.newportjazz.org, call the Newport Festivals Foundation hotline at (401) 848-5055 or e-mail jazztickets@newportfestivals. org.
Natixis Global Asset Management is the Presenting Sponsor of the 2017 Newport Jazz Festival and sponsors programs that help enrich the lives of individuals and preserve the cultural experience for future generations through music.
In addition to Natixis Global Asset Management, the Newport Jazz Festival also receives generous support from Doris Duke Charitable Foundation,North Coast Brewing Company and Eventbrite. The festival’s official travel partner is WBGO Jazz 88.3. Lodging partners are Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina, Newport Marriott and The Newport Harbor Hotel and Marina.
Newport Festivals Foundation was founded by George Wein in 2010 to build and continue the legacies of the famed Newport Jazz Festival® and Newport Folk Festival®. Under the auspices of the Foundation, the Festivals present performers who respect and honor jazz and folk music traditions, and at the same time reflect the changes in today’s musical trends. The Educational Initiatives of the Foundation aim to foster opportunity, inspire through exposure and facilitate the collection of resources needed for musicians, emerging and established, to celebrate and innovate. For more information, please visit www. newportfestivalsfoundation.org .
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Newport Folk 2021 – The final day of “Folk On” (July 28)
- Obituary: Joanne Donnelly Maher
- Obituary: Ralph E. Morgan
- Newport Mansions Wine & Food Festival returns September 17 – 19
- Governor McKee, RIDE, and RIDOH release updated PreK-12 Health and Safety Guidance for the 2021-2022 School Year
- Newport to require masks in city-owned buildings beginning August 2
- FirstWorks Live – Roger Williams Park free Summer Concert Series continues Sunday 8-1 with Voces de Los Andes
- Newport Folk 2021 – “Folk On” Part 2 Day 2 (Tuesday, July 27)
- Obituary: Rayfield Drowne Jr.
- Redwood Library & Athenaeum to house a portion of the Dr. Patrick T. Conley Library