Sen. Erin Lynch Prata (D-Dist. 31, Warwick, Cranston) and Rep. Lauren H. Carson’s legislation (2017-S 0562 / 2017-H 5575) to create a statewide solar permit application now heads to Governor Raimondo’s desk for her signature after passing both the House of Representatives and the Senate tonight.
The bill would require the Rhode Island Office of Energy Resources, in conjunction with the RI Building Commission, to create rules and regulations to formulate a statewide solar energy permit application.
“Clean and green energy is the future of our energy infrastructure and solar is one of the more promising technologies in this emerging field. In order to protect our environment and grow these green energy jobs of the future, we as a state must offer a predictable and universal path toward installing solar energy systems and this legislation accomplishes this goal,” said Senator Lynch Prata in a press release.
“The need for clean, green, and renewable energy sources is only rising by the day and this legislation will enable our residents and businesses to utilize this technology in an easy and foreseeable manner, hopefully setting the stage for many more solar installations in our state,” said Representative Carson.
The legislation is an effort to streamline the statewide permitting process for the installation of solar systems that removes unnecessary regulatory barriers, resulting in a predictable and less-costly process for solar developers. The single permit would encompass both building and electric permits for solar energy systems with Rhode Island’s municipalities.
The cosponsors of the legislation are Sen. Joshua Miller (D-Dist. 28, Cranston, Providence) and Sen. Hanna M. Gallo (D-Dist. 27, Cranston, West Warwick), Rep. Aaron Regunberg (D-Dist. 4, Providence), Rep. Deborah L. Ruggiero (D-Dist. 74, Jamestown, Middletown), and Rep. Susan R. Donovan (D-Dist. 69, Bristol. Portsmouth).
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13