Liam O’Regan hit his third home run of the season but the Newport Gulls fell to the Danbury Westerners, 6–1 on Tuesday night at Rogers Park. Newport starting pitcher David Palmer received the loss hurling six innings, allowing two earned runs on four hits with seven strikeouts.
The Westerners took a 1–0 lead in the third inning on Kevin Mahollen’s RBI single. After Palmer held Danbury scoreless for the next two frames, the Westerners would increase their lead in the sixth inning to 3–0 on solo home runs from Joe Drpich and Justin Drpich. During the seventh inning, Danbury erupted for three runs as a three-run homer off the bat of Giavonni Dingcong put the Westerners in front, 6–0.
The Gulls would answer in the ninth inning as O’Regan blasted a solo shot over the left field fence to cut Newport’s deficit to 6–1. O’Regan and Nicholas Raposo paced the Gulls’ offense with two hits each as Danbury outhit Newport 8–7. For the Gulls, reliever Dylan D’Anna tossed 1.2 innings, surrendering one earned run on one hit while striking out two batters.
Tonight, the Gulls (2–4) will host the Danbury Westerners (4–1) on Newport Art Museum Night at 6:35 p.m. from Cardines Field. 250 free water bottles will be given out courtesy of St. Michael’s Day School.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now
- What’s Up This Weekend (July 30 – August 1): Things to do, live music, and more
- The Boys & Girls Clubs of Newport County: Newport Yacht Rendezvous returns on August 13