Veronica “Ronnie” Devlin, 88, of Middletown, RI, died peacefully on Friday, June 16, 2017. She was the wife of the late H. James Devlin.
Born in Newport on September 17, 1928, she was the daughter of Jean (Hewitt) and Alfred J. King and the sister of Dorothy Van Doorn and Eleanor Elliott. Ronnie attended Rogers High School and worked as a telephone operator before she and Jimmy owned and operated a number of retail businesses in Newport including the William K. Covell, Co. and the Panhandler on Thames Street and Bellevue Avenue. Later Ronnie worked for Perrottis and for several years at CVS Pharmacy on Bellevue Avenue.
Ronnie loved her group of lifelong friends, including the fun-loving “Cape Cod Cuties,” whose annual trips to Hyannis were filled with plenty of antics. She loved music and was blessed to have so many musicians in her life. She will be missed for her kindness, and for her endless supply of jokes.
She is survived by Susan Russell and her husband Rich of Newport, Brian Devlin and his wife Mary of North Kingstown, Shawn Devlin of Somerville, Mass., and Cindy Martin and her husband Terry of Middletown. Ronnie had five grandchildren: Patrick, Lindsay and Kelly Devlin, Kimberly Hemond Bertrand, and Sherry Hemond; and three great-grandchildren: James Antone, Tyler Bertrand and Julianne Bertrand.
The family wishes to thank Ronnie’s hospice nurses and therapists from the Visiting Nurse Services who helped take such good care of her, especially Kristina, Suzanne and Debbie.
A memorial service will take place on Friday, July 7, in the St. George’s School Chapel at 11:30 am. In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to Visiting Nurse Services of Newport and Bristol Counties, 1184 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI 02871.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools