John J Bird, 80, of Newport passed away peacefully on Saturday, June 24, 2017. Loved dearly by his family, John was generous with his kindness, he was a thoughtful man, dedicated to his family and country.
Born in 1937 in Los Angeles, CA, to Thomas and Virginia Bird, he served in the US Marine Corps Reserve and continued with active service as a lieutenant in the Army. He successfully built his career as an intelligence officer with the CIA, specializing in military and naval doctrine, strategy, and force structure analysis. His work included arms control negotiations and treaty monitoring.
John is survived by his wife Joan and his two daughters: Helen and her husband, Simon McGeady, of Paris, France; and Betsy Goodrich, and her husband, Jonathan of Lowell, MA; as well as his grandchildren, Solène, Susannah, Hugh, and Katherine.
The funeral service will be held on Monday, July 3, at St. Joseph’s Parish Church, 5 Mann Ave, Newport at 10 am. Burial will be private.
In lieu of flowers, donations can be made in his name to Catholic Charities, Boys and Girls Club of Newport and Dana Farber Cancer Institute, Boston.
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more