James Richard Holz, age 91, of Portsmouth died Tuesday, June 13, 2017 at home in Portsmouth. Mr. Holz was born February 13, 1926 in St. Paul, MN. He is the son of the late Gustave and the late Gertrude (Shea) Holz.
James attended schools in Chicago, IL and enlisted in the Navy when he was 17. He served in WWII, Korean War, and Vietnam War during his 22-year career with the Navy. He later worked as a machinist in Abington, Massachusetts.
He is a member of the Veterans of Foreign Wars and United Auto Workers.
He is predeceased by his wife Catherine Holz.
He is survived by his wife: Frances Giampietro (Martocchio) Holz; his son John Holz and his wife Sharon of Shanks, WV; his grandson Sean Holz of Shanks, WV; and his granddaughter Theresa Jacks, her husband L.A., and their children Alissa and Anthony of Churchton, MD. He is also survived by his stepchildren Joanne Roberts of Dartmouth, MA; Jane Giampietro of Swansea, MA; and Janeen Nelson of Tiverton, RI.
Family and friends are invited to an hour of visitation from 9:00 am to 10:00 am on Thursday, June 15, 2017 at Connors Funeral Home 55 West Main Road, Portsmouth, RI. A Mass of Christian burial will be held 10:30 am on Thursday, June 15 at St. Barnabas Church, 1697 East Main Road, Portsmouth, RI. Burial will be in The Veterans National Cemetery, Bourne, MA on Thursday, June 15 at 2:15 pm.
The Latest From WUN
- Weather Alert: High Wind Warning issued for the region – Storm arrives Tuesday
- Obituary: Elizabeth Marion (Matter) Chambers
- Best-selling author Ann Hood hosts ‘The Writing Life’ public talk at Salve Regina on Oct. 30
- Brown University to significantly expand financial aid and college access
- What’s Up This Week: Hocus Pocus, Tour de Fright, Halloween festivities, and much more