Tyler Green’s RBI sacrifice fly and Andrew Daschbach’s RBI single in the top of the 16th inning pushed the Newport Gulls past the New Bedford Bay Sox by a final score of 7–5 on Thursday night. Reliever David Palmer earned the win throwing the last inning scoreless. Daschbach led the Gulls with three hits as the Bay Sox outhit Newport, 15–9.
Newport grabbed an early 1–0 lead in the first inning as Drew Arciuolo led off the game with a walk and came around to score on an RBI groundout off the bat of Green. Two innings later, the Gulls would extend their advantage to 4–0 on a three RBI triple off the bat of Cade Cabbiness.
But, the Bay Sox would respond in the bottom of the fifth inning as an RBI single from Chandler Debrosse cut the deficit to 4–1. After a run scored on Nick Matera’s single, two more runs would cross the plate on Karsten Sherman’s single to even the score, 4–4.
In the top of the sixth, though, Newport would take the lead as Nicholas Raposo scored on Kameron Misner’s groundout. New Bedford would tie the game 5–5 in the bottom of the seventh inning as Kevin Brophy scored on a wild pitch. Neither team would score until the top of the 16th inning where the Gulls added two runs.
Newport (3–5) will be back in action tomorrow night when it hosts the Keene Swamp Bats (3–5) at 6:35 p.m. from Cardines Field. At the ballpark, it will be Middletown Appreciation Night. Free t-shirts will be given away courtesy of Town of Middletown.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)
- Governor McKee signs Rhode Island African Heritage and History Curriculum Bill
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts