The race to replace Teresa Paiva Weed’s seat in the Senate continues to grow.
Kim Ripoli, a retired Navy Veteran and former Associate Director of Veteran Affairs for the State of Rhode Island, officially declared at Newport City Hall on Thursday, June 9th that she will be running as an independent in the Senate District 13 (Newport, Jamestown) race.
Ripoli, 54, graduated from Rhode Island College with a Bachelors Degree in General Studies from Rhode Island College in 1994. She has a Certificate Advanced Graduate Studies (Homeland Security) and a Masters Degree, International Relations from Salve Regina University and an MSL, National Security Law from Roger Williams University School Of Law.
According to her LinkedIn profile, Ripoli was Associate Director of Veterans Affairs from August 2012 – 2016, a Senior Chief of the U.S. Navy from February 1988 – February 2014, a Regional Director of the US Navy CNO Office from September 2008 – September 2012 and an Aciton Officer at the SECNAV Office from July 2007 – August 2008.
There are currently four Democrats (David Allard, Dawn Euer, David Hanos and John Florez) and one Republican (Mike Smith) running to fill the seat that Paiva Weed occupied for more than 22 years at the State House. The primary election for the Democrat’s is scheduled for July 18, and the special election between the winner of the Democrat primary, Ripoli and Smith will take place on August 22.
If you’re scoring by money in the bank, Newport Councilman and businessman John Florez takes the early lead, and if you’re scoring by grassroots donors, the winner is lawyer Dawn Euer. That, according to the May 1 financial filings with the state Board of Elections, representing the first quarter of 2017, ending March 31. It’s logical to also believe that in the past month candidates have been ramping up their fundraising efforts.
What’sUpNewp has reached out to Ripoli for more information, this story will be updated.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now