On Saturday, June 17 at 5 pm, France will return to challenge USA, and put its most recent victory on the line in the NBC10 Newport International Polo Series, Presented by BMW.
Playing for France will captain Olivier Girard, France’s highest rated player, who will field a competitive team from the south of France. “This team is tuned up and will require that we bring our best game,” explained Dan Keating, USA team captain and founder of the Polo Series.
The polo match will have a duration of approximately 2 hours, during which a weekly door prize drawing from Veuve Clicquot Champagne and the Best Tailgate prize from Stella Artois will be awarded. After 6 periods, called chukkers, the match will conclude with the Veuve Clicquot Champagne Toast & Trophy Presentation, as well as an autograph signing and cocktail hour to mingle with the players and a special Après Polo: Louie Louie – Bastille banquet; sold separately by advanced reservation.
Tickets to the match ($12 for General Admission and $20 for Pavilion seating) and reservations to the après polo dinner are available at www.nptpolo.com. Valet Parking service, boutique vendors and food & beverage concessionaires will be present in the Hospitality village at the polo grounds, including the Twisted Pony Bar and the Newport Polo Pro Shop.
Polo has a significant presence throughout France, with a history well over a century in the making. It has hosted the FIP World Championship of polo and has been European champion more than once. France became the 6th nation to compete in the Polo Series, debuting in the second season, and quickly becoming one of USA toughest competitors.
Official team headquarters will be the new Gurney’s Newport Resort & Marina, a waterfront resort situated on Goat Island in Newport harbor, on Narragansett Bay, where the French Polo Team will enjoy the seclusion of a private island with dining options, entertainment, wellness, spa, family fun and the best sunsets in Newport, and only a short walk from the heart and charming cobblestone streets of Newport where more adventure awaits. The team will tour the famed Newport Mansions, enjoy helicopter tours with Birds Eye View, paddle boarding and surfing with Island Surf & Sport, tennis on the legendary courts of the International Tennis Hall of Fame, sail on 12 meter racing yachts with America’s Cup Charters, enjoy fine dining and dancing at the Clarke Cooke House, and all the great goings on in the City by the Sea.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- Passim Announces Eastern Front Songwriter Grant
- History in the Making: Newport Jazz and the Civil Rights Movement
- Handel and Haydn Society to perform Beethoven’s Symphony No. 9, “Ode to Joy,” in free concert at the DCR Hatch Shell
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 2 Recap and Photos (July 31)
- What’sUpNewp Interview: Christian McBride, Artistic Director of Newport Jazz
- Deer Tick releases new album “Live at Fort Adams”
- Rhode Island Foundation offering $25,000 grants to local writers
- Obituary: Ann-Marie Nevitt
- Open Studios and Drive-By Art returns to Jamestown on August 7
- Newport Jazz 2021 – Day 1 Recap and Photos (July 30)