It’s official, seven candidates from Newport will run to replace Teresa Paiva Week in the Senate District 13 (Newport, Jamestown) Senate seat.
All seven candidates successfully submitted nomination papers to Newport’s board of canvassers by the deadline of 4 pm on Thursday, June 20th. The board of canvassers will now vet the 100 voter signatures that each candidate was required to obtain in order to appear on the ballot.
The four Democratic candidates, John Florez, David Allard, David Hanos and Dawn Euer, will face off in a Democratic Primary on Tuesday, July 18th.
The winner of the Democratic Primary on July 18th will face Republican Michael Smith, Independent Kim Ripoli and Green Party Candidate Gregory Larson on August 22nd. In order to get their name on the ballot, all candidates must turn in at least 100 signatures by Tuesday, June 20th at 4 pm.
Upcoming Important Dates
- June 27: Last day to submit a mail ballot application for the primary
- June 28 – July 17: Emergency ballot period for the primary
- July 18: PRIMARY (Democratic)
- July 23: Last day to register to vote for the election
- August 1: Last day to submit a mail ballot application for the election
- August 2 – August 21: Emergency ballot period for the election
- August 22: ELECTION
What’sUpNewp will host a Candidate Forum on Monday, July 10th that will feature all seven candidates at Jane Pickens Theater. The event will be moderated by Ian Donnis of Rhode Island Public Radio, Ted Nesi of WPRI and Frank Prosnitz of What’sUpNewp and What’sUpRhodeIsland. The event is free and open to the public, register here – https://www.eventbrite.com/e/senate-district-13-candidate-forum-tickets-35188643179
The Latest From WUN
- City of Newport: A portion of the Cliff Walk will be closed on Monday for maintenance
- Newport String Quartet to perform Dvorak, Montgomery, and Tate at St Columba’s
- ‘Normandie’ estate on Ocean Drive sells for $12.5 million
- On the market for a new home? Check out these 29 open houses happening this weekend
- Six Picks: The best in local music this weekend – Popovic, Nelson, and a Legend