The Alliance For A Livable Newport (ALN) is proud of its reputation for being an unbiased source of information regarding issues affecting the City of Newport, including the election of public officials.
Recently that reputation for impartiality has been questioned as a result of an ALN Board Member and Officer playing a role in the election campaign of a declared candidate for the open State Senate seat representing Newport and Jamestown.
Sensitive to such concerns, ALN had already taken the following action:
- A leave of absence of the Director/Officer involved in the election campaign was accepted, both from that individual’s role as an officer and as a member of the Board of Directors; and
- ALN has discontinued its efforts to sponsor a primary candidates’ debate and a final candidates’ debate for the State Senate election.
As individuals, ALN officers and board members have the right to support candidates and issues of their choosing, as long as it is independent of the ALN organization. But as an organization, ALN has never, and will never, actively support or oppose any candidate for public office. That is not our role. In this situation, while there has been no support given to a candidate by the organization, ALN is taking these steps to avoid even an APPEARANCE of partiality.
Ron Becker, Co-President
John Hirschboeck, Co-President
Alliance For A Livable Newport
Editor’s Note: Alliance For A Livable Newport had previously agreed to co-sponsor the upcoming Senate District 13 forum that What’sUpNewp will host on July 10th at Jane Pickens Theater, that forum is still scheduled and will be held.
The Latest from What's Up Newp
- 31 open houses happening this weekend (July 30 – August 1)
- A1 Roofing & Construction teams up with FabNewport to further FabGolf program for local youth
- Reps. Edwards, Cortvriend, Carson, Phillips attend national redistricting conference
- Newport Music Festival announces Fall Chamber Series, Community Concerts
- Legislation signed into law that requires litter prevention and recycling awareness be taught in schools
- Team Racing friends and rivals to reunite in Newport for New York Yacht Club’s trio of team race regattas
- Obituary: Frances H. Sanita
- U.S. SailGP Team hosts inaugural Foiling First: Learn to Foil Camp with Bristol Yacht Club & East Bay Sailing Foundation
- Obituary: Thomas Risso
- Now Hiring: 129 job opportunities available in and around Newport right now